Wild Dog Tented Camp

Viewing the Wild Dog at the watering hole is quite the experience. It will allow you to come very close to the most interesting canine, the African Wild Dog, (Lycaon Pictus) sometimes also referred to as the Painted Dog as the colours on their bodies resemble paint splatter. The Wild Dogs are often perceived as awkward animals, but the perception soon changes while watching them closely. It is clear to see their loyalty to the pack and to their young. They always feed their young first by regurgitating their food for the pups, however, they do the same to other dogs in the pack as part of their social interaction.

Sadly, the Wild Dog is one of the world’s most endangered mammals listed on the IUCN Red list since 1990. The largest threat recorded to the existence of the Wild Dog is contributed to various outbreaks of disease and human interference. According to the Painted Wolf Foundation, who approached 28 organisations in 2022, operating in 12 African Countries and covered 80 million hectares. They have determined the population of Wild Dogs left is only 4500.

The Wild Dogs are known to be active hunters of Antelope which they chase to exhaustion, then attack and kill, however, their diet does not consist of meat only. The wild dog has a hyper carnivorous diet, i.e., a diet that is more than 70% meat, either via active predation or by scavenging. The remaining 30% of their food is made up of fungi, fruits, or other plant material.

It is known to be the largest wild canine in Africa. Their natural habitat is Southern Africa and the southern part of East Africa (especially Tanzania and northern Mozambique).